POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Wallpaper/background : Re: Wallpaper/background Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wallpaper/background
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 21 Nov 2002 05:02:57
Message: <3ddcaf51@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
> Shadows could only be cast on something behind the object from the light
> source's point of view. If the "background" is behind everything,
> including light sources...
> Making it shadowless would probably slightly speed shadow calculations
> up though.

I was still thinking radiosity, with a sky_sphere giving off light.

About the unwanted backdrop-lighting-the-scene problem, I have thought
of two possible solutions :

* backdrop alone  in a light_group (but I do not know if this works with
ambient light emmission in radiosity).

* use a no_image, no_reflection clone with ambient -1 (but I fear ugly
lighting artifacts)

Povingly,

Philippe